Q. The 1st of April is known as April fools day. Lies are told and pranks are done in various ways for fun. Is there any thing wrong with this? Can a Muslim be involved in this?
A. May Allah bless you. Here are 5 reasons why a Muslim shouldn’t be involved in April fools lies or pranks in any way.
1. In our beautiful religion lying is not allowed whether the one who does it is joking or is serious because it leads to mere evil. ‘Abdullaah ibn Mas’ood said: The Messenger of Allaah (صلى الله عليه وسلم) said: “…Lying is evildoing, and evildoing leads to Hell. A person will keep on telling lies until he is written as a liar (with Allah).” Narrated by al-Bukhaari in his Saheeh.
2. Q. If someone said What if I do it just for fun and to please people (be cool)? A. It is not allowed, in fact a severe warning came to prohibit this specifically. Mu’aawiyah ibn Haydah said: “I heard the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم ) say: ‘Woe to the one who tells lies to make the people laugh , woe to him, woe to him.’” Narrated by Abu Dawood and it is a saheeh (authentic) hadeeth.
3. Taking part in April Fools Day is a type of imitating the kuffaar as this was never legislated or practised by the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم ) and he warned, “Whoever imitates a people is one of them.” Narrated by Abu Dawood, graded saheeh by al-Albaani.
4. Part of the great character of a Muslim and the great rewards promised for him/her is found in this hadeeth of the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ): “I guarantee a house in Jannah (paradise) for one who gives up arguing; even if he is in the right. And I guarantee a house in the middle of Jannah (paradise) for one who abandons lying even for the sake of fun. And I guarantee a house in the highest part of Jannah (paradise) for one who has good manners.” Narrated by Abu Dawood, graded saheeh by al-Albaani.
5. Q. What if I just send/forward the prank/April fool lie? I didn’t make it, someone else did. I just find it to be funny.
A. Remember my dear Muslim brother/sister Allah says in the Qur’an: “Co-operate in good and piety and do not co-operate in sin and transgression.And fear Allah for Allah is strict in punishment” [Suratul Maaida:2]
Allaah knows best.
Abu Umar; Abdulazeez.